Saturday, December 10, 2011

Istanbul & Other News





I have to admit that Turkey is now my favorite country to visit. In early November, while Ingrid was visiting family in Florida, Paul Barney (Al Ain Men's College/CESL/UA) & I decided to hop over to Istanbul for a few days. It was too cold some days (50s) and at night (40) for my liking, but the city is AMAZING. We visited the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia Museum, city walls, cisterns, Galata Tower, Dolmabahce Palace and were fortunate enough to spend an evening in true Turkish style with 1 of my favorite former colleagues, Ayfer, and then took a ferry to spend the day exploring the Asian side of the city with Peggy, our Oxford book rep and her husband Cem. (I've been unable to access this blog for a while, so I have lotsa pictures to add.) We cooked our 1st turkey for 10 on 25 November. Great success! Other news: I gave my 6-month notice 2 weeks ago, so I can return to the U of A to finish my dissertation (big sigh of relief heard frm the committee!) and become Dr. Bob once and for all. We will be off for 3 weeks starting 16 December. We'll spend Christmas here but just booked a last-minute trip to Crete for New Year's. SO lots more great pics to come...

No comments: