Saturday, September 27, 2008

Snails Snails & More Snails!

We went to the market to buy sardines, but they were out. So then we asked for rainbow trout. Strike #2. Then we saw a little plastic bag with snails! We love snails, but haven't a clue how to cook them. For 4 euros, how bad could they be? So we buy the snails and rush home like 2 kids after they buy a goldfish at the pet store. We weren't sure if they were alive or not, so we carried them very carefully. We got home and looked at each other and I said, "Ingrid, open the bag & I'll get a recipe on the net!" While I searched, she opened the bag & started examing one up close. "It has a face!" she says. I start reading out loud, "Don't leave the snails unattended or they may crawl away." Ingrid says, "Crawl how? Aren't they dead?" and throws the snail back in the sink. "It says to put salt on them to see if they are alive," I continue. So, we toss some salt & nothing. "They're dead," said Ingrid. So, we wash them off and boil them for about 4 minutes. Then we get out the frying pan, pour in some olive oil, crushed garlic, and butter, and simmer the guys for about 15 or 20 minutes. I tasted one at 10 minutes and it was still slimy. Once cooked, we pulled them out of the shell and ate them with a baguete and a bottle of white wine. Yummy! Then as I popped the last one into my mouth, Ingrid counted them...107! Whoever comes to visit will be treated to this very un-American dish. It looked just like this...

No comments: